Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Richard Feynman: More on his life

Stephen Wolfram has a lovely article about the late Richard Feynman. Feynman was one of the greatest physicist of the twentieth century, a noble laureate, and an incredibly genuine human being. The article is well worth reading.

"It was probably 1982. I'd been at Feynman's house, and our conversation had turned to some kind of unpleasant situation that was going on. I was about to leave. And Feynman stops me and says: "You know, you and I are very lucky. Because whatever else is going on, we've always got our physics."

Feynman loved doing physics. I think what he loved most was the process of it. Of calculating. Of figuring things out.

It didn't seem to matter to him so much if what came out was big and important. Or esoteric and weird. What mattered to him was the process of finding it. And he was often quite competitive about it."

Read the whole article.

No comments: