Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 07, 2008

Human Growth Hormone or Human guinea pigs?

Eliene Augenbraun discusses the trade-offs of being short compared to taking human growth hormones.

When I was a toddler in the early 1960s, my parents were very concerned when I suddenly stopped growing. I seemed healthy enough – my doctor tested everything he knew to test, but he was puzzled. He got me into a study of short stature at the Johns Hopkins Medical School in Baltimore.

I spent days there being poked and prodded. Using what was cutting edge technology at the time, they found me to be: very short; very anxious (wouldn't you be if you were 4 or 5 years old, caged in a hospital far from your family, and stuck with needles every hour all day and all night for 3 days!?); and making normal amounts of growth hormone. They enrolled me in a long-term study of the effects of growth hormone (hGH) injection. I was in the control group – I got nothin'.

The subjects that got hGH got a little more: Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (CJD).

Read the rest.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David
I went through it to, (1972) but only the infusion tests using 5 different batches. I wasnt GH deficient, but went onto steroids due to the overtreatment of hGH that castrated me.I wa certainly one of those guinee pigs to "test" batches. The steroids were administered to induce puberty and now in my 40's I am back on steroids to combat premature aging. The effects of hgh raising FSH to catrate levels saw me in hospital for corrective surgery. My growth was stunted by 4cm and ended up with protate disease at the age of 17. Bloody terrible program, Side effects were horrendous and require steroids to keep me alive.
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/shortboys/web/index.html

Saqib Khatri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saqib Khatri said...

I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... anonymous