Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 07, 2008

The risk of nuclear war

How risky are nuclear weapons?
Amazingly, no one seems to know.

My name is Martin Hellman and I'm a professor at Stanford University. When I started this project, I looked for studies which estimated that risk. I also asked prominent authorities on nuclear weapons, national security, and risk analysis if they knew of any such studies. I found nothing.

Next I did a preliminary analysis of the risk we face and found that it was equivalent to having your home surrounded by thousands of nuclear power plants. So I published a paper which urgently calls for more detailed studies to either confirm or correct that startling conclusion.

Informed, subjective estimates support the need for in-depth studies. Former Secretary of Defense William Perry puts the odds of a nuclear terrorist attack in the next ten years at 50-50. Indiana Republican Senator Richard Lugar's survey of 85 national security experts reached a similarly alarming conclusion.

Check out the site, it's worth reviewing.

I don't know how you measure the risk of nuclear war given that the U.S. is the only nation to ever employ these weapons but the thinking will open your mind.

No comments: