Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 06, 2006

Experience at the Apple Store

My IPOD shuffle would not be recognized when I plugged it into a USB port on any computer I tried; I tried at least three times.

So, I finally took it to the Apple store yesterday in Bethesda, Maryland. The store is open and we walk in. It's a small store, most space is for product display. I walk to the back and see a fellow behind a counter and a line in front. I start to wait but see a screen with names. I infer there is some sort of sign up computer in the front. I wonder around and find a woman, in her fifties, with an apple shirt and she looks like an employee.

She: Can I help you?
Me: Yes, my ipod won't charge or be recognized when I plug it in.
She: Yes, I've seen that before.
Me: Can you fix it?
She: How long have you had it?
Me: I got it around Jan or Feb.
She: Oh, then it's still under warranty.

Me: Can you look at it and tell me if you can fix it?
She: Do you have an appointment?
Me: Well, no, do I need an appointment?
She: Yes, you do.
Me: Can't I just drop it off and whenever it's ready I can come back. I am already here, in person. It's not working so leaving it is fine with me.
She: No, you have to have an appointment.
Me: I can't drop it off?
She: No. You need an appointment and we're filled for today. It's like getting your car fixed, you have to have an appointment.

Me: Well, no I don't. There's a key drop and I can just drop my car off for repairs. Can't I do that here?
She: You must know the mechanic.

Me: pause....
She: Would you like me to help you make an appointment?
Me: Sure, that would be great.
She: Here. (She hands me a card.) Go to this website and you can make an appointment there.
Me: This is nuts. (I walk out.)

No comments: